Tuesday, September 29, 2009

People You Should Know In Cleveland


Mr. Oli P
mrolip@tmo.blackberry.net
facebook.com/mrolip
twitter.com/mrolip

First we want to thank you for being the first interview for our "People You Should Know In Cleveland" section.

PART 1

For the people that don't know, please take a second and introduce yourself and what you are/have been involved in around the city of Cleveland?

Wow I thought everybody knew me, lol. Well the names Oli P., 29 born & raised in Cleveland. Most people will recognize me from my affiliation with the marketing company Bring It On Entertainment ran by Lenny Berry. For the past 8 yrs I was involved in lifestyle marketing/advertising for various clients including Def Jam, Interscope, J Records, Atlantic, Capitol, as well as Martell, Budweiser, Remy Martin just to name a few. I've since moved on to pursue other business ventures but I still hold close ties to the company.

What is your view on the local hip hop, entertainment and nightlife scene?
As far as local hip hop goes I would have to say it has gotten a hell of a lot better than in the past. You have a lot of artists taking more time to perfect their craft & attempt to provide the best product because it is a representation of Cleveland as a whole. The nightlife has taken a hit over the years for various reasons, but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. The few new promoters I see making moves are doing their best to bring Cleveland clubs back to their glory days.

Who do you feel are other move makers around the city?
First & foremost I gotta say my partner Jennifer with Bring It On is really coming into her own with the company. She takes no BS & stays breaking records in the city. Eighty81 of course because they're the most recognizable promoters of Cleveland nightlife. It also helps they have Lebron in their corner, lol. The organizers of the OHHA for making a great annual event & really showcasing the talent Ohio as a whole has to offer. You also got artists like Kid Cudi, Chip Tha Ripper, Hush Money, Polo Champ that are really putting their stamp on the Hip Hop industry.

What is your view on hip hop now compared to hip hop in the late 90's early 2000's?
Honestly I think this new transition in Hip Hop is re-capturing that party hard/feel good music the late 90's had to offer except with a new younger twist. Of course I'm going to love 90's music a little bit more because that's what I grew up on, but you can't do the same thing forever. In order for Hip Hop to grow, change is needed. People always name Soulja Boy as the poster boy for killing Hip Hop but what you fail to realize is he's not making music for us. There's a new generation of kids that love him & relate to him just like we related to Jay-Z, Puffy, Wu-Tang, No-Limit, etc.

What defines your style? What makes you a trendsetter?
My style is just that.. mine lol. I never tried to be "the cool guy" or try to be something I'm not. I was never afraid to just do me & do what I wanted to do or wear what I wanted to wear. Plus me being a sneaker head helped because I always tried to rock kicks that nobody else could find. I'm the type that'll put a pair of J's on ice just so I can pull'em out 5 years from now & still get that "where you get those" looks lol..


Check back tomorrow for PART 2 of our "People You Should Know In Cleveland" interview with Mr. Oli P.. peace